Excellent! “Power Foods Fitness” Hot Cross Buns are delicious and perfect to be baked ahead for the Easter week and for your Easter gifts when entertaining or dining with family and friends!
250g Butter (organic grass fed preferred), cubed
6 medium Eggs, separated
3 large Apples, peeled and diced very finely
2 C Almond Flour
1 C Coconut Flour*
* I always use “niulife” Coconut Flour brand as in photo below.
½ C Maple Syrup
½ C Sultanas (optional)
2 tbsp Cinnamon
1 tbsp Nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line muffin pans.
2. In a large bowl combine butter, almond and coconut flour as well as spices. Use your hands to rub the butter into the flour mixture until it forms a crumbly mixture.
3. Add egg yolks and maple syrup and mix well.
4. Add chopped apple and sultanas and mix.
5. In a separate bowl whip egg whites until they form a fluffy consistency then fold the egg whites into the other mixture.
6. Softly roll the mixture into ball shapes and place into lined muffin pans.
7. Gloss with some egg white or almond milk so they are shiny when they are cooked.
For Easter Look/Cross:
8. Melt some butter with 100% cacao and save for the buns once they have cooled. This will be used to make a cross on the top of your hot cross buns.
Or alternatively make a cross shaped divot along the top about 2-3mm deep before baking.
9. Put in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the buns are golden brown on the outside and not too soft or gooey on the inside.
10. Allow to cool on a wire tray and then drizzle cacao mixture on top if desired.
Wishing you, your family and friends a Happy Easter!
God Bless xx