The zesty limes give this broth a vibrant uplifting flavour for the cold Winter months ahead and is perfect made ahead for those nights your pressed for time and need an instant nutritious meal for you and your family. This “Power Foods Fitness” soup is low in fat and bursting with healthy goodness.
2 Limes, juice and grated zest
2 medium Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
1 Carrot, chopped
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1in Ginger, peeled and sliced
1 Red Chilli, sliced
500ml Fish Stock
150g Fish Fillet (my favourite) or Fresh Prawns (optional)*
1 tin Coconut Milk, 400ml
30g fresh Coriander chopped
10g Butter (organic preferred)
*Note: SWAP Seafood for Bacon or Eggplant
1. In a heavy-based casserole pot on a medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the garlic and onion until they are soft and go translucent. Add the carrot, chilli, ginger and sweet potatoes and cook for a few minutes. Pour in the fish stock. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables have cooked through.
2. Stir in the coconut milk. If you’re including seafood, add it without stirring and poach in the simmering stew for 3-4 minutes until it’s cooked. Take the seafood out of the mixture, set aside on a warm plate and season to taste.
3. Blend the rest of the mixture to make a soup. Stir in the lime juice and zest. Gently mix in the seafood – if using poached fillets, remove the skin and shred into bite-sized chunks before adding to the soup.
4. Taste the broth and season again if needed. Drizzle in a tiny bit of water if it’s still quite thick until you have a creamy consistency.
5. Serve hot in bowls and garnish with generous amounts of fresh coriander.
This is such a versatile soup recipe as you may swap your protein and use bacon instead of fish fillet or prawns or create a vegetarian version with eggplant.
Enjoy this soup sensation! xx