- 1 ½ Onions, finely chopped
- 5 Rashers of Bacon, cut into large strips
- 450g Chicken, diced or 420g Beef casserole meat
- 500g Sweet Potato – wash, keep skins on, cut & remove ends, cut potato into chunks
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 200g Boiling Water
- 20g Wholegrain Mustard
- 400g Tinned Tomatoes (non ‘value’ option)
- 15g Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Dried Majoram
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 15g Coconut Oil
- 200g Buttoned Mushrooms, cut in half
- Fresh Basil, to garnish
* Greens per serving:
- 60g Snow Peas
- 60g Broccoli
What you will need:
- Slow cooker : Low for 6-7 hours or high 3-4 hours
- Crockpot: Low for 7-8 hours or high 3½ -4½ hours
- Combine bacon and onion and place in the slow cooker. Arrange chicken (or beef) and sweet potatoes on top.
- In a measuring jug add chicken stock with hot water, stir until dissolved.
- In a large bowl combine mustard, tomatoes, paste, herbs, stock, coconut oil, stir together and spoon over chicken (or beef).
- Cover and cook according to times above.
- 1 hour before cooking has finished add mushrooms and stir.
- 6 minutes before serving, wash and steam vegetables.
- Spoon out casserole onto serving plate with vegetables, serve hot.
NOTE: To reduce cooking time by an hour for either a slow cooker or a crockpot, boil chopped sweet potatoes for 8 minutes in a saucepan to soften, before adding to slow cooker with chicken (or beef) as in step one.
Winter is Mother Nature’s way to restore and renew our body and mind for the high activity of the warmer Summer months.
Mmm this style of cooking is a gentle encouragement to live slowly and being in the moment! xx