Our first variation of a traditional Spelt Flour Bread recipe is a winner! Approved for OCCASIONAL TREATS on “Power Foods Fitness” lifestyle.
When you’re in the first 3 weeks of the “Power Foods Fitness” Nutrition Plan you are in DETOX from your addiction to refined sugars and simple carbohydrates…
So you can ultimately switch your fuel system to “Proteins and Fats” you will continue to eat REAL FOODS into the next 4 weeks stage being FAT BURN… YOU will achieve this by eating the foods in the NUTRITIONAL FRAMEWORK. You will eat REAL FOODS that will not spike your insulin and add to the horrendous cycle of glucose overload and fat storage!!! When you reach week 7 you will enter 4 weeks of LEAN MUSCLE GROWTH.
So at week 7 – this is where the 80/20 Rule comes into play… As you are now “FAT ADAPTED” i.e. burning fuel from “Proteins and Fats” you eat – IN CONTRAST to dipping into fat stores and muscle tissue – you can enjoy the OCCASIONAL TREAT once a week!
These Spelt Flour Bread Rolls are great served like a burger with a “Salmon Pattie” or “Pork Hatch Chile Pattie” with fresh baby spinach + beetroot, char-grilled eggplant + sweet potato, and avocado… OR as a brushetta OR on its own as a side dish.
400g Spelt Flour
320mL Warm Water
2 pinches of Dry Yeast/ 1g Fresh Yeast
600g Spelt Flour
250mL Warm Water
1 tbsp Honey
1.5 g Dry Yeast/ 4g Fresh Yeast
20mL Olive Oil
1. Combine all starter ingredients in a mixing bowl and leave it covered with cling wrap for 12 hours until bubbly (keep in a warm place). You can activate the yeast with the water first and then mix in the flour but it isn’t necessary.
2. Place the starter, spelt flour, water, sugar and yeast in a mixing bowl and mix on slow speed for 2 minutes with the dough hook attachment. Then add in salt and olive oil. Once the salt and olive oil are incorporated, increase to medium speed and mix for 4 minutes.
3. THIS step, while seems meaningless – it is essential!
Remove dough from bowl and spray the bowl with some olive oil cooking spray. Make the dough into a ball shape and place it back into the bowl, covering it letting it prove for 2 hours in a warm place.
At minutes 45, 90 remove the dough and stretch and fold it, respray the bowl and cover again. Place the dough on a lightly floured bench to work with.
4. Divide the dough into pieces weighing about 90g each for bread rolls. Portion and roll into ovals or rounds. Place them on baking trays lined with parchment paper as in photo below. Cover and leave to prove for 45-60minutes.
5. Preheat your oven to 250degrees (If you have a hot oven preheat to 230)
6. Brush the surface with a small amount of water.
7. Place a roasting pan on bottom tray of your oven. Just before placing rolls in oven, take a sharp knife and slash the tops. bake bread for 10-13 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 210degrees (if you have a hot oven 190) and bake for a further 12-15 minutes until golden and crusty.
Enjoy these Spelt Flour Bread Rolls at home as a CHEAT MEAL once in a while, they are also perfect for a day out in your picnic hamper or as a gift to your next meal gathering…
A great talking point – to subtly drop the seed of “YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT…”
Cooking is Learning to Love! Love is Unconditional! Patience is our greatest virtue! xx