This Orange, Carrot and Ginger Smoothie is full of vitamins, minerals and the healing properties of ginger*. A great way to boost your immune system over the chilly months of Winter.
* Ginger has been used as a natural remedy for many ailments for centuries. Now, science is catching up as everything old becomes new again or should I say rediscovered again… Researchers around the world are finding that ginger works wonders in the treatment of everything from cancer to migraines.
Below are ten health benefits of this powerful herb:
1. Ovarian Cancer Treatment
Ginger may be powerful weapon in the treatment of ovarian cancer. A study conducted at the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center found that ginger powder induces cell death in all ovarian cancer cells to which it was applied.
3. Morning Sickness
A review of several studies has concluded that ginger is just as effective as vitamin B6 in the treatment of morning sickness.
4. Motion Sickness Remedy
Ginger has been shown to be an effective remedy for the nausea associated with motion sickness.
5. Reduces Pain and Inflammation
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties and is a powerful natural painkiller as one study has shown.
6. Heartburn Relief
Ginger has long been used as a natural heartburn remedy. It is most effective taken in the form of tea for this purpose.
7. Cold and Flu Prevention and Treatment
Ginger has long been used as a natural treatment for colds and the flu. Many people also find ginger to be helpful in the case of stomach flus or food poisoning, which is not surprising given the positive effects ginger has upon the digestive tract.
8. Migraine Relief
Research has shown that ginger may provide migraine relief due to its ability to stop prostaglandins from causing pain and inflammation in blood vessels.
10. Prevention of Diabetic Nephropathy
A study done on diabetic rats found that those rats given ginger had a reduced incidence of diabetic nephropathy i.e. kidney damage.
2 0ranges, peeled
2 large, Organic carrots, chopped
½ to 1 inch Ginger to taste
1-2 splashes of Water
Ice to chill if desired
1. Squeeze one of the oranges into your blender to provide enough juice to help it blend. Then add the rest of the orange pulp and the second orange, both carrots and the ginger to your blender, (I use a Kitchenaid).
2. Add a splash or two of water to help it blend and thin out the consistency. You’ll need to add more water if you include the orange pith like I do and less water if you don’t. Best to leave the pith on as it’s loaded with fiber.
3. Once you have all your ingredients in the blender, blend on high until smooth!
4. Serve in a tall glass with a slice of orange or lemon!
Calcium: 17% Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)
Iron: 4% RDA
Vitamin A: 1061% RDA
Vitamin C: 232% RDA
This smoothie is also a rich source of folate, vitamin B1 – B6, vitamin k, copper and potassium.
Enjoy this nutritious smoothie alongside your salmon patties with baby spinach or pork hatch chile patties with kale for breakfast or as a morning or afternoon tea.
REAL FOODS HEAL! xx