5-minute microwave breakfast recipe and this includes the preparation and cooking! Say “Good Morning” with protein-packed scrambled egg whites, broccolini, bacon and black quinoa microwaved in a mug. Quinoa can be substituted for most cereals and is a good replacement for rice. It has a subtle flavour with a fluffy, creamy and slightly crunchy texture.
This recipe is a fool-proof, quick and easy way to power-up for the day with a blend of first class proteins, right carbohydrates and good fats.
- 1/3 Cup x diced Broccolini
- ½ Cup x Egg Whites
- 2 Tablespoons x finely chopped Bacon
- 2 Tablespoons x Black Quinoa
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Flaxseed Oil
- Spray inside of a large microwave-safe mug* with non-stick cooking spray.
- Stir in egg whites, broccolini, bacon, quinoa, salt and pepper with a fork.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. Stir, then microwave 30 seconds longer or until eggs are set.
- Drizzle very lightly with flaxseed oil. My favourite is Waltanna Farms certified organic flaxseed products.
*Use a mug that holds at least a 2-cup glass measuring cup.
- Substitute smoked ham, turkey ham or smoked deli turkey for bacon. Use whatever meat you have on hand… Just chop it up and stir into the egg whites.
- Using butter-flavour cooking spray is especially tasty.
- Depending on the mug used, eggs may rise up over the top of the mug, but don’t worry they won’t overflow. The eggs deflate quickly once the mug is removed from microwave.
This is a basic “egg in a mug” recipe with infinite possibilities and only takes a minute or two to deliver fluffy yumminess. xx